No. 64 Squadron was formed at Sedgeford on 1 August 1916 as
a training unit with F.E.2bs and Farmans but in June 1917 received fighter types in
preparation for operations in France. In October 1917, the squadron moved to the
Western Front for fighter patrol and ground attack duties for the rest of the war.
In February 1919, it returned to the UK and disbanded on 31 December 1919.
On 1 March 1936, No. 64 reformed at Heliopolis, although for political reasons it was
announced as having formed at Henlow. With the Abyssinian crisis still on, the
squadron's duties were to carry out attacks on enemy airfields and act as cover for
bombers being refueled at advanced landing grounds. In August 1936, the squadron
embarked for the UK to form part of the fighter defense of London. In February 1938,
Demons with turrets were received, and by the end of the year these had been replaced by
Blenheim fighters at Church Fenton. On the outbreak of WWII, the squadron was
engaged in patrols off the east coast, and in December 1939 provided fighter defense for
the Home Fleet. In April 1940, conversion to Spitfires took place in time for the
squadron to help cover the evacuation of Dunkirk and later to take part in the Battle of
Britian. In May 1941, it moved to Scotland for air defense duties, returning south
in November to begin taking part in sweeps over northern France until March 1943, when it
moved back to Scotland. In August it resumed offensive operations from bases in
southern England, and in June 1944 moved to Cornwall for two months before beginning
long-range escort missions from East Anglia. In November 1944 it converted to
Mustangs and flew these for the rest of the war in support of Bomber Command's daylight
raids on Germany. In March 1946, No. 64 received Hornet twin-engine fighters and
moved to its peace-time base at Linton-on-Ouse in August. In March 1951 it converted
to Meteors, but in August 1956 began to replace its single-seaters with night fighter
versions of the Meteor. In August 1951 the squadron had moved to Duxford where it
remained for ten years, and in September 1958 it became a Javelin squadron. These it took
to Singapore in 1964 where it provided all-weather defense for the island until disbanded
on 16 June 1967.
Halley, J. J. 1988. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth
Air-Britian (Historians) Ltd. Tonbridge, England.